Thursday, June 25, 2015

Exciting News!

I have some exciting news to share...but first a back-story...

Remember my Merry Little Nine Patches quilt that I designed and made?  Well, my Guild wanted me to teach a class for it and I was glad to oblige.  Hey, $100 for a 3-hour class...who would say "no"?  Then I realized that in order to teach the class, I would have to make and sell a pattern for that class.  Let me tell you, I have a totally new appreciation for pattern designers now.  It takes hours and hours and hours of time.  And then you have to recruit a friend or two to make said pattern for testing purposes.  Thank heavens I am blessed with really good friends.  So I design the pattern and I think it turned out really well for a first-timer, so I think to myself...well why not make extra copies (only need 20 for the class), and as people sign up to take the class, those that are unable to take the class can just purchase the pattern if they wish and make it themselves at their leisure.  This went over like hotcakes, as several people had other commitments on the day of the class or were going to be on vacation.  But this isn't the exciting news...

This is where the exciting news comes into play...

Yesterday at our monthly Guild meeting, a woman (new member as indicated on her badge) is at the sign-up table oohing and aahing over my quilt.  Then she sees the patterns.  Then she says, "Do you sell your patterns at wholesale?"  I blink quickly, silently wondering why she is inquiring, and explain that the pattern is my first, mainly written for the quilt class I'm teaching.  She says, "Well, I own a local quilt shop, (names the shop -- which I am familiar with), and I would love to buy some to sell in the shop.  I might also be interested in having you teach a class at my shop as well."  My heart stops!  Is this really happening?!?  I knock a couple bucks off the pattern price, she cuts me a check for the patterns she buys, takes my number for the future (possible class), and I stand there flabbergasted.  She also said if I design any more patterns, to come see her at the shop.  WHAT!?!?  Yes, yes, this really happened to little ole me!

Merry Little Nine Patches Quilt w/Pattern

Different Versions.  A girlfriend/pattern-tester made the aqua and red quilt on the right.  I pattern-tested it myself and made the 30's version on the left.  My original quilt is obviously in the center.  LOL.

My patterns as packaged.


Over the moon,
Suzy

6 comments:

scraphappy said...

That is exciting news. Congratulations on turning your hobby into something more. What fun to be officially "published"

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Congratulations!! Beautiful pattern and it is always fun to see a design in different colors!

Katie Z. said...

Woohoo!

Teresa said...

Congratulations! I design patterns as well and have had some picked up by a couple of quilt shops. It is very satisfying to see others who appreciate your design and make your quilts. Good luck in your future endeavors.

JJ said...

Wow!! Congratulations and how totally awesome! I always thought you could do this but was never sure when you would take the leap. I am so proud of you. You need to let your friends in New Jersey know how we can get copies of your pattern. Then we can share and say we know this designer! Hopefully, one day we will be buying your first book.

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congrats!! That is SEW exciting!! And, I would LOVE to buy one of your patterns. Will you be opening an Etsy shop for online orders??