Sunday, January 3, 2010

Starting The Year Sewing

Ahhhh...there's nothing better than starting a new year with sewing. BTW, Happy New Year everyone! Hope it's great!





Here is the first little project that I completed this weekend.









It measures 26x26 inches and the stars are 4 inches.






I call it "Patisserie Stars." The fabric is "Patisserie" from Moda by Joanna Figueroa of Fig Tree Quilts. Hence the name, duh. LOL! Isn't the fabric G-O-R-G-E-O-U-S?!?! Sad thing is I only had two small charm packs, so using my trusty EQ program, came up with a simple quilt utilizing them to their advantage. I'm sure I'll make another small quilt out of the other charm pack eventually, just because I love this fabric line so much. I had a FQ of the pink sashing fabric and 1-1/2 yards of the floral border fabric. Plenty of that floral left, for the next quilt, too, thank goodness, as long as I keep it small. I'm planning on using a green dot fabric for the backing. Although it's not from the Patisserie line, it goes so well it looks like it does. I didn't want to use what was left of the floral for the back that most no one will see. I'd rather use it in the top of the next quilt.

When I was playing with my EQ program designing this quilt, I realized I would need (ok, ok, want) some of that beautiful floral for the border. I went to my local quilt shop(s) and there was no Patisserie fabric to be had. Thank goodness for the internet. I got home and immediately went on Ebay and found exactly what I was looking for and at a great price too. Shoulda saved myself the gas and gone on Ebay first, huh? But at least the story ended happily. :o)

Anyway, now I'm auditioning quilting designs for the top and now have a whole 'nuther conundrum. So me thinkie this top will hang among the flimsies for a little bit while I decide how it should be quilted. Right now I'm leaning towards clamshells, but that means more free-motion practice by me before touching this baby. That's okay, though. Practice = playtime. :o)

Have a quilty New Year!
Suzy

2 comments:

Diane said...

I love the quilt. So sweet!

Anonymous said...

Suzy,

Here with Jackie and Bonnie enjoying your blog and beautiful quilts! Thinking of you....

Adriana, Jackie and Bonnie