Thursday, June 16, 2016

Charity Quilt For Veteran-In-Need

Our Guild provides charity quilts to veterans, many of whom are wheelchair-bound.  I finally finished this quilt yesterday and hope it provides comfort to someone in need.




It took a lot longer to quilt than I anticipated.  You'd think with just straight-line quilting it would go quickly (at least I did -- LOL!).  Not so.  The stitching lines are about 1/2" wide.  That's a lot of quilting.  But it was good practice and I hope it warms the lap (and the soul) of a wheelchair-bound veteran.  It's the least I can do for those who serve our country with such selflessness.

Home of the free, because of the brave,
Suzy

4 comments:

Doreen said...

I don't do the straight-line stitching for that very reason! Too much repetition and..., well, boring (I know that that is THE perfect motif/design in some cases and can't be avoided but so far I have avoided it!!! LOL!). Yours turned out super!!!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Nicely done!! I love the top, back, AND the quilting!!

Miklyns said...

I love this quilt and would like to make it. Our guild the country star quilt guild in Hilliard Florida is making quilts of valor as well as wheel chair quilts for disabled veterans. Can you tell me where I can get the pattern. Thank you so much. My email miklyns@windstream.net
My name is Lynn Jabaut I have spent over an hour trying to change my email through Google but for some reason I cannot do it.

Suzy said...

Sorry, Lynn. There is no pattern. I just made it up as I went along. But it's basically just a disappearing 9-patch using 5" charm squares. Then a border and I used my Accuquilt GO to cut the stars for the corners (I ironed heat n bond lite as fusing for the back) and just stitched them down. Hope that helps.

Happy stitching,
Suzy