Thursday, April 18, 2013

Finally Over The Blues

This project has been in my UFO bin pile since probably the late '90's -- not long after I first started quilting.  When I picked it back up the other day, there were four "9-patch" blocks assembled and 12 of the alternate blocks were done.  I think I was planning on doing more, as I also had a stack of various blue fat quarters also in the bin...and a large amount of yardage of the blue plaid.

Well, after I made 9 more of the "9-patch" blocks and layed them out alternating, the blue just overwhelmed me.  I like blue fine, but it just didn't talk to me.  I knew I needed another color to give it some interest...and so I started playing.  I pulled several different fabrics from my stash closet (yep, trying to use some of my stash here, as well as tackle my UFOs).  At one point I even toyed with the idea of red/white/blue, but didn't have enough of the red/white background that I thought looked nice with it.  This layout with the gold also happens to be the one that I chose first, and it works for me.  I kinda like the "country" feel the gold gives it.



It feels wonderful to have one less UFO taunting me from the closet.

Here's to more UFO progress,
Suzy

8 comments:

Karendianne said...

Ohh good job! Love it.

scraphappy said...

Finishing UFOs. AND using stash. So virtuous! Having a pretty quilt to enjoy makes it even better.

a maidenhair fern said...

Love the 2 colors.

Lucy said...

I am so impressed. I have the first quilt I started as a ufo in the late 90 s. It was a double wedding ring. I really hate to toss all that cut fabric, that was unfortunately cut crooked and then many blocks were sewn without the knowledge I have now and are so crooked it hurts my eyrs. Not only do your blocks look great, but it is really pretty.

Anonymous said...

The gold was a good design decision. It is hard to put a finger on why antique two color quilts work and some of our modern ones don't. The gold touches are just right.

Paula, the quilter said...

Gold and tan are always a winner with blue.

Cindy said...

I love blue and white together and the gold adds the perfect touch. Great finish!

Trish said...

I really like how you created a new quilt from your old blocks/fabric. Very Creative and definitely one of a kind! Great job!!