Thursday, January 12, 2017

Resolution/Goal Achieved Already?!?!

First, let me say I don't make New Year resolutions. They never, ever happen -- at least in my case. LOL. But I do make a goal or two. If I make it, great; if not, I tried...

One of my goals this year was to venture outside my comfort zone.  How, you may ask?  Well, I decided to submit a quilt pattern I designed to McCall's Quilting Magazine.  I drafted it one day during the last week of December and and held my breath as I sent the e-mail with a picture of the pattern as I drafted it in EQ and a mock-up of a block I had made in the fabrics I chose.  Scary stuff, right there.

A few days later I get an e-mail back saying that they had received my submission, and that they would consider it the next time they got together to choose patterns to publish in future issues.  I figured it would be quite a while until I heard from them again, let alone at all.  I can only imagine all the work and time that goes into prepping and publishing national magazines.

Imagine my surprise when I checked my e-mail yesterday (a week after the first initial "thank you for your submission"), and they said they wanted to purchase it for publication!  As you can also imagine, I am beyond excited!

Obviously, I can't share my design here, as they will have all rights to it until it appears in the magazine, as well as for 90 days following publication.  After that the magazine and I both retain publication rights and if I want to sell patterns or whatever, I can; and they can republish in future publications if they desire.

I have a lot of paperwork to do, but I guess that's the nature of the beast.  This is all very new to me. Exciting, but scary.  An untravelled road.  I can't recall who said it, but this quote comes to mind: "Don't be afraid to fail, be afraid to try."  So I'm trying..  :o)

My other goal was to sew more for my dolls.  I really do enjoy the instant gratification it brings. This is my latest that I made a couple days ago.  At least there is a picture with this post now, so it won't be totally boring... 


Follow your dreams,
Suzy 


4 comments:

JJ said...

OMG!! I knew it was going to happen just not when! I am sooo excited for you and can't wait to see your quilt pattern. I gave up my subscription so make sure to let us know what month your are being published. I am happy and excited for you. Have always admired your talent and your deserve the recognition. You go girl!!!

Carolyn said...

Congratulations! That's fantastic...and to think I can say, "Look at this picture of us together! I may have only met her in person once, but I knew her years before she got famous and had her own cruises!"

Ady said...

Wonderful and amazing! I am so happy for you. You are so talented so I am not surprised :) CONGRATS my friend! Can't wait to see your beautiful creation. Ady

Grammy's Quilting Studio said...

Of course I've already congratulated you in person. I know how AWESOME you are and how far you could go if you didn't mind all the WORK (that is a 4 letter word). I love the little dress you made for your doll. Are those the little buttons you bought at the quilt show in Orlando? Love when I use something I buy (what a novel idea), lol. See you later. Mona