Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Goodbye Tension . . . Hello Pension!


It's official! I'm retired! After 29 years, Thursday, March 20, was my last day of work. It was very bittersweet to say goodbye to all my friends and co-workers. They had a retirement dinner on Thursday evening and approximately 45 people attended. My husband and I had a great time and it was wonderful to see some people I hadn't worked with in years and years. I'm going to really miss everyone -- even more so once we sell our house and move to Florida. They were all so supportive when we learned about my husband's cancer, even donating time so I could be off work to help him recover from his surgery and spend time with him, and again when we learned his cancer had come back. The past two years have been a hard road for us, but they lightened the load with their thoughts, prayers, and generosity. I will always be thankful to them for that.

So now we are on to the next chapter in our lives. Selling our home and moving to Florida to be near our eldest daughter and son-in-law, and my husband, Chris's, family. We're also hoping our youngest daughter and grandson will be able to move down, as well. It's exciting, scary, and a whole host of other adjectives that I can't think of right now. I would have never thought that I would be retiring early at age 48 and that my husband would be battling cancer. It's funny how life-altering events can change your whole outlook. Pretty much puts things into perspective, doesn't it?

Hugs to all,

5 comments:

Mary Johnson said...

Happy retirement! We lived in Florida for 14 years before moving to the Atlanta area and then to Minneapolis last year. We still have family and visit. Hopefully, you'll enjoy living there as much as I did.

Lisa Boyer said...

Congrats, Suzy! May Florida and being surrounded by family aid in your husband's healing. Best wishes to you both...it sounds exciting!

Salem Stitcher said...

Happy retirement to you! Here's hope and prayers for much joy in the next chapter and the healing power of sunny Florida!

sweettea said...

congratulations on your retirement and your babys birthday... and my prayers are with your husband,
God can do amazing things, you arent in this fight alone...
we had a life altering event last year, our youngest nearly died, and has spent the last year getting well, physically and emotionally. And, you are right, it does put things into perspective and cause you to live life to the fullest each minute. enjoy!

Perry said...

Happy Retirement Suzy. I cetainly hope your retirement goes well and I pray that your husband will recover. I also hope your move goes smoothly. Lots of hugs!