Saturday, February 13, 2016

Kylie's Kites

This quilt is called Kylie's Kites.  Eleanor Burns visited our Quilt Guild in March 2013.  She gave a Lecture, had a Quilt Challenge Competition and gave two classes.  Kylie's Kites was one of the classes she gave.  It was a lot of fun and very exciting to meet the quilt maven in person.  She is as personable and crazy as she appears.  What a hoot.  LOL!

I finished this quilt top during class and gave it to my quilt friend to quilt for me.  She did an over-the-top job on the quilting which is really what makes this quilt sing.  (The ribbon around the borders is all threadplay done by my friend!)  For some reason, I never blogged about it.  It was so long ago, that I can't remember how or even why it was overlooked...

Anywho, I'm putting it in our Guild's show in early March so that my friend's quilting can be appreciated for the art that it is.  The last of the three quilts I will be entering.


Friday, February 5, 2016

Savannah - Another Finish!

I have another finish to share.  This time it's my "Savannah" Quilt.  It's my own design and I used a lot of little civil war scrap pieces to make this.  It was quilted by a talented quilting friend.  It measures 29" square and each block is 3" finished.

This one is also going in our Guild's Quilt Show in early March.

More to come,

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Citrus Garden - Hexie Quilt is Finished!

Citrus Garden

My hexie quilt is finished and I think it looks amazing.  My quilting friend did an awesome job on it!  I'm so pleased.  I changed the name from Citrus Swirl to Citrus Garden because that fits it so much better now with the quilting she did.  This was my first try at English Paper Piecing and it took me several years of on and off handpiecing to complete the top, but it was worth it.  I had no design plan for it and just let it speak to me on what it wanted to be.

I wanted to keep the edges uneven as I felt it gave the quilt more personality, so I sewed hexies around the edge like a facing on clothing and turned it to the back and appliqued it down with invisible hand stitches.  It worked like a charm!  Of course the backing and batting had to be on the quilt before I could do that, so I gave the quilt top to my quilting friend and she quilted just the hexie flowers, leaving the black areas unquilted.  Then I got the quilt back and trimmed all the layers around the edges and did my thing, and then gave it back to her to finish quilting.

The butterflies are glittery!

This beauty will be going into our Quilt Show in the beginning of March.  After all that work, you bet I'm gonna show her off.  :o)

Feeling accomplished,